Monday, January 9, 2012

It has been a while since my last post -- to be honest I had *almost* forgotten that I'd started a blog in the first place -- and this blog seemed destined for the same fate as every other I've started.

We have been renovating our house and living elsewhere in the same suburb, but it's a really big suburb and our housesitting house is about as far away from our own house as you can get while remaining in the same suburb. The first few days were very hot and I didn't bother bringing the Bullitt over to the new house because I was fairly sure K and I wouldn't have enjoyed being out in it much (the car has AC! Bliss!)

Dad's elderly dog did enjoy a ride in it one day -- S took the baby capsule off and strapped an old recycling crate on the Bullitt platform with some occy straps, and Millie was in doggy heaven! A cargobike would definitely be handy for people with dogs that don't fit into a basket on a regular bike.

The week before Christmas K and I successfully navigated our way all the way to the city and home by Bullitt. Leaving just as K became ready for a nap worked well, as the journey took about as long as one baby sleep-cycle. After lunch and a play in the Carlton Gardens she was ready to sleep again and we left, heading home via Commuter Cycles where I heard one of the staff exclaim 'Faster than a Speeding Bullitt!' as I pulled up outside the shop.

I have been thinking I should use the Strava app to record my cargobiking exploits. I've used it for road riding (I get parental relief every Wednesday night to join in a bunch ride near our house). Will see how that goes.

K is now getting to the age where she could sit in a regular baby bike seat easily, and a few friends with babies the same age have started carrying their babies around this way. I still think that capsule + no helmet is safer than seat + helmet so I'll probably keep her in the capsule a little longer. It also has the advantage that she's nicely supported in it if she falls asleep, which is pretty common. But she will outgrow the capsule fairly soon - watch this space to see how we change our Bullitt setup!


No comments:

Post a Comment